Friday, April 1, 2016

My Biased Review of NRG Dehydrated Raw Dog Food

My Biased Review of NRG Dehydrated Raw Dog Food
DepositPhoto/andresr
I have access to a lot of raw brands through our local raw food co-op.  I tried NRG raw dehydrated dog food when they had a special.  Our dogs weren’t getting fish in their diet beyond canned sardines, and NRG offers a salmon recipe.

Why NRG Dehydrated Raw Dog Food

I like dehydrated raw, because it’s easy, convenient, and allows me to add more protein options (salmon and bison) to our dogs’ diet.  I’ve heard many good things about NRG raw from other raw feeders who belong to the co-op:
  • It’s great when you need to travel with your dog.
  • It’s easy for kennels and pet sitters to prepare for your dog.
  • It’s a quality brand that people respect and dogs love.
The decision to buy a few bags for our dogs was an easy one.

Best Deal: PetSmart Coupon 10% OFF Sitewide + FREE Shipping No Minimum at Coupon4share.com


Why This is a Biased Review

I call reviews about commercial dog food biased, because I’m pro-raw feeding.  So I go into a review about a raw food brand expecting to love a product simply because it’s raw.  With more dog owners giving raw a shot after traditional pet food (dry and canned) let them down, I hope to see more veterinarians adopt an open mind about the diet.
I’m seeing a lot of raw brands come to market, which is making my reviews more difficult.  Although I want to love the brand, because we’re in the same niche, I recognize that the pet industry is a sixty billion dollar industry and many brands will bring on a raw line to get a piece of that expensive pie.  Dog owners have shown time and again that we’ll pay top dollar for our fur babies, and there are people who are more than happy to pocket our hard earned cash.
So this review will be fair.
My Biased Review of NRG Dehydrated Raw Dog Food

My Review of NRG Dehydrated Raw Dog Food

NRG offers three formulas on their site.  I buy a recipe called Maxim from our local pet store.

What I Like about NRG Dehydrated Raw Dog Food

  1. NRG allows me to add fish and bison to our dogs’ raw diet.
  2. NRG is easy and convenient – just hydrate and feed.
  3. NRG is available at our local pet store, Julz Animal Houz, and through the raw food co-op.
  4. NRG is a great option to have on hand when I haven’t thawed raw food.
  5. NRG travels well and is easy for a pet sitter to feed.
  6. There are no carbs, unnecessary ingredients, and the fat content is below 20%.
Our dogs love the food, and no one has had any issues eating NRG raw dog food.

What I Don’t Like About NRG Dehydrated Raw Dog Food

My dislikes reflect my personal tastes when feeding raw and not the brand.
  1. I’m not a fan of the way NRG looks.  I have the same thought about most dehydrated raw dog foods.  I’m used to raw food looking like food.  The dogs don’t care – they love the food.
  2. It’s expensive for a person with four big dogs, so it’s not a food that I would feed regularly.  I’m able to get it for a good deal through our raw food co-op.
It’s important to follow the directions on the bag.  I’m used to weighing food for our dogs and even with premade raw brands, I weigh the food that I put in each dog’s dish.  With freeze dried raw dog food, weighing the food doesn’t work for me, because I always end up feeding too much.
The serving instructions on the bag are easy and clear to follow.

My Bottomline on NRG Dehydrated Raw Dog Food

I think this is an excellent dog food, My Biased Review of NRG Raw Dehydrated Dog Foodand I do feed it to our dogs.  Despite my comment on the appearance and price, I like having the salmon recipe on hand for our dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment