Friday, April 1, 2016

5 Top Places to Buy Green Tripe for Dogs

When I transitioned our dogs to raw feeding, I heard about green tripe, but didn’t know what it was or where to buy it, so our dogs didn’t try green tripe right away.  Since I couldn’t find it, I didn’t think it was a big deal if I added to our dogs diet or not – they were doing just fine without it.
Is It Okay NOT to Feed Green Tripe?

Absolutely! There are plenty of raw feeders who believe that green tripe has no nutritional value and they choose not to feed it to their dogs.  In fact, there is one Facebook raw feeding group that won’t allow members to bring up the subject of green tripe (or vegetables, fruit, or kibble).
Although I disagree with the statement that green tripe has no nutritional value, I respect that everyone is making choices that are best for their dogs.  For my four dogs, green tripe is definitely on the menu, because green tripe offers:

natural enzymes that promote a healthy digestive system for my dogs; and feeding organic green tripe has been fantastic for Rodrigo and Scout
natural Omega 3s, which promote healthy skin and coat health, lubricate joints, and assist with a growing puppy’s brain functions
the perfect calcium and phosphorus balance, which was great when I was worried about adding bone (whole or ground) to my dogs’ meals

What if I Can’t Find Green Tripe?

Lately, I’ve been getting a lot of questions about feeding green tripe.  Many readers want to add it to their dogs’ diet, but they don’t know where to find it.

Believe it or not, there are a ton of sources for green tripe.  I wish I would have known this three years ago:

1. PetKind Canned Green Tripe
Stock up on canned green tripe by PetKind.  I have 5 cases on hand (venison and bison).  PetKind also offers green beef tripe and lamb tripe.  If you feed dry dog food and your dog doesn’t have a poultry allergy, consider PetKind Tripe Dry.  It’s also an excellent option for training treats.

2. Join a Local Raw Food Co-Op
Look for a local raw food co-op in your area.  I order 1/2 of our green tripe through our co-op and the other half through Darwin’s Pet, who offers both organic green beef tripe and green bison tripe.
CLICK HERE to find a co-op in your area.

3. Have it Delivered to Your Door
I’m not sure about other countries, but here in the States, you can order frozen or freeze dried green beef tripe through Darwin’s Pet, Raw Paws Pet Food and Vital Essentials Raw.
Both Darwin’s and Raw Paws offers shipping; with Raw Paws, if you spend a certain dollar amount, you may qualify for free shipping.

4. Green Tripe Dog Treats
There are a lot of green tripe dog treats out there, but I prefer the ones made by PetKind.  I can order them through…
my local raw food co-op
at our local pet store, Julz Animal Houz
online at Amazon.com
I usually pick up the venison tripe treats, but the green tripe treats are just as yummy according to my pack  I like these because my fingers don’t stink after I feed them, and the treats are soft and can be broken up and used as training treats.

5. Your Local Butcher or Rendering Plant
I’ve never tried this, because I honestly don’t want to handle pounds of green tripe.  I do know that I can order it from a local butcher or get it directly from a processing plant for next to nothing, because no one wants to buy this stuff and it’s not for human consumption.
I was told that I could buy a 60-pound bucket of whole green tripe.  That would mean I’d have to cut it into smaller pieces and grind it for my dogs.  Ummm, no. NO NO NO.

Access to green tripe varies depending on the area of the country you’re in (and area of the world).  In my experience, the easiest and most convenient way to add green tripe to your dog’s diet is to buy PetKind canned green tripe.  If you want frozen green tripe, then I’d recommend Darwin’s Pet, Raw Paws Pet Food, and Vital Essential Raws.  And for treats, check out PetKind’s green tripe jerky treats.
And FYI, the white tripe at the grocery store is bleached tripe and no longer holds any nutritional value for our dogs.

Coupons for saving:

  • Save Up To 30% OFF PetSmart Special Offers + FREE Gifts + FREE Shipping on orders of $49 or more! Redeem this code and save! click here 
  • Save Up To 90% OFF Daily Deals + Extra 10% OFF eBay Sales & Coupons. Redeem this eBay 10 discount coupon  for savings now!



No comments:

Post a Comment